Top real estate agents know that high-quality service and client interaction don’t end on closing day. A dedicated agent or broker will take one final step to complete the interaction and may offer their clients a small token of appreciation: the client gift. Client gifts can be a simple way to thank clients for trusting you with their home buying/selling experience, and a small gesture goes a long way in building your brand and your reputation.
Some agents choose to give every client the same type of gift, while others like to customize the gift based on the buyer/seller. Either way, there are plenty of ways to show your appreciation to your clients without spending all of your commission. Keep reading for inspiration for low-cost client gifts that still have that “wow factor.”
New Home Gifts
If you’re looking for gift ideas for a buyer, consider putting together a basket of “new home essentials.” This could include:
- Kitchen utensils
- A welcome home mat
- A set of coffee mugs
- A gift card to a local home good’s store
- Flowers or plants
- Wine glasses/beer mugs
- Yard games
During your time together, you’ll get to know your client and the things they enjoy and are into. Make a note of these things so that when it’s time to put together a low-cost client gift, you can put together a gift that is unique to them.
Another way to show your client your appreciation is to give them a chance to explore the local area. If they are buying in the local area, offer passes or tickets to a local event or attraction that will help them get to know the area better.
If you’re putting together a gift for a seller and know where they are moving, you could offer a gift certificate for an experience in their new city. If you’re not sure where they’re moving, something more general like a gift card to an online store or chain restaurant that they can use no matter where they settle down.
Custom Client Gifts
One of the most thoughtful gifts you can give to a client is something that speaks to them personally. As you get to know them, you can start to gather ideas for themes and gift ideas that they would appreciate. For example:
- If you know they love to golf you could create a golf-themed gift basket or include a free round of golf at the local golf course
- If they are creative, you could include a paint set, new brushes, art supplies, or a gift certificate for a painting class
- If they love a particular sports team, you can put together a sports fan basket with mugs or pendants of their favorite team
- If they love to travel, give them travel-related accessories
- If they have kids, think about their interests and what small gifts they would love. Coloring books, outdoor toys, or a pass to a local indoor play place or movie theatre
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to give the perfect client gift. What matters is that you put thought into the gift and personalize it for your client’s specific taste and style.
Food and Drink
Buying and selling a home can be stressful, and a food or drink-themed client gift can be the perfect way to settle nerves and celebrate the beginning of a new chapter. Consider leaving a bottle of wine with wine glasses for your new homeowners, or dropping off donuts from the local bakery. If your buyer is new to the area, offer a gift card to a local-favorite restaurant. If you’re working with an avid coffee-drinker, put together a coffee-themed basket or a gift card to Starbucks. Other low-cost food and drink themed gifts include:
- Have pizza or other dinner delivered to their new house
- Order a fruit basket to be delivered to their new house
- Send a gift card for a local brewery, dessert shop, or breakfast spot
- Bring over everything for an ice creams sundae party
- Put together a “movie and snack basket” with popcorn and treats
Food or drink-related gifts can be as general or personal as you want it to be and can be an inexpensive way to show your client that you appreciate them.
Giving your clients a thank-you gift is a great way to retain businesses and solidify your professional reputation. It is a good business practice and increases the chances that your clients will refer you to their friends. And, it just feels good to do something nice for someone after a successful business relationship.
Want to learn more about how to market more effectively manage client relationships and build your real estate brand? Mbition has online courses and resources to help you do it all! Check out the classes for new agents, exam prep, and continuing education.