Ever wonder how successful people who seem to have so much on their plate get so much done? They prepare themselves well before their workday starts. In an article for Entrepreneur.com, equal rights activist and guest writer Serenity Gibbons shared these seven early morning habits of successful people.
1. Go to bed early, wake up early — It makes sense that the earlier you rise, the more tasks you can accomplish. Successful people, like Virgin Group founder Richard Branson, make it a habit of waking up early. In the article, Branson explained how rising early has helped him during his half-century in business.
“Over my 50 years in business, I have learned that if I rise early, I can achieve so much more in a day, and therefore in life,” Branson said in the article.
Rising early requires an early bedtime. Among other benefits, getting enough sleep improves your health, memory, learning, productivity, and temperament, and may even help you make fewer risky financial decisions, according to the article.
2. Disregard your phone — This one isn’t easy, but it’s necessary. First, Gibbons suggested, keep your phone away from your bed during the night so your sleep won’t be interrupted by the light it emits or any notifications. Second, don’t check your email and social media accounts first thing in the morning. An email from an angry client or unflattering post could set the mood for the day.
3. Try exercise and meditation — According to Gibbons, both of these activities help reduces stress, induces happiness, increase your energy, helps you sleep better, boosts your immune system, and prevents future health concerns like heart disease from developing. In addition, they also help you “focus on what you need to achieve throughout the day and develop new ideas.”
4. Get your breakfast on — A healthy breakfast fuels your body and brain for the day, according to Gibbons, and should consist of healthy carbohydrates, low-fat protein, fruits and vegetables, and dairy alternatives. Gibbons also suggested sipping on lemon water before your meal to give your mental and physical energy levels a boost.
5. Lift your spirits — To help lift their spirits, successful entrepreneurs make it a habit of reading inspirational material, working on “passion projects” or writing down their thoughts for the day. “Take a couple of minutes every morning to get in the right mindset before tackling the day,” Gibbons wrote.
6. Set your weekly goals and priorities — Do this each Monday morning, Gibbons suggested. Then, each day thereafter, write down which goals and priorities must be done that day. Start with the least desirable tasks first and then move on to the easier ones. “Get them done and over with now so that you can keep moving forward,” she wrote.
7. Get down to business — Once actions one through six are complete, you’re ready to get down to business. You can now check your phone, email messages, social media accounts, and the like. You’ll be able to face anything they present with a clear mind.
“That data may alter your to-do-list, but because you got a head start, you’ll be prepared and ready when it’s time to enter the office,” Gibbons wrote.
Are you an early riser? Do you think it affects your success? What are some of your morning rituals? Share with us in the comments below!
Source: “7 Things Every Entrepreneur Should Do Before 7 a.m.,” Entrepreneur.com (Mar. 21, 2017)